Monday, August 6, 2012

Pump Vacation and Pre-emptive Money Woes

After 3 unexplained (M&Ms don't explain anything really) 250+ highs, I have put on the out-of-office message for my pump.  I'm unhooked.  I'm fancy free.  Kind of - I spent my fancies figuring out how much Levemir to take and putting a Dexcom sensor in because I don't want to go crazy with this little vacation.  I'm not completely device-free, but it feels nice to not have a pager stashed in my boobs.

I had a sample Levemir pen from my doctor as a last-resort for my trips to Nairobi, and I cracked that sucker open with the skill of someone who used to do this several times a day.  I have a sample NovoLog pen, too, which I'll use for meals and corrections.  Since I have just one of each, I figure that I'll get about a week out of this little trip to untetheredness.

While I'm pretty secure that I won't die or anything (hence the Dexcom as backup), what if I like my little vacation?  What if I find myself snacking less and maybe (wishes and hopes and dreams) lose a bit of weight?  What if I love not having my battery-powered panc stuck in my bra day in and day out?

Sadly, I've only got a week of free supplies, and after that, it's up to the good people of UnitedHealthCare to determine how long my vacation lasts.  Taking a break means switching from one Tier 3 insulin at $125/month to two Tier 3 insulins at $125/month and disposable pen needles at $10/box.  I may need a sponsor or prescription fairy to see this one through.

No comments:

Post a Comment